If you are among the 92% who have not succeeded in keeping your New Year’s resolutions, then why not make a Spring resolution. Today is a great day to start working towards that goal. Achieving your goal involves thinking, planning and finally doing. Start to think seriously about what you want to achieve, why you want to achieve it and in minute detail what you will do to reach that goal, working as if your very existence depended on it. Now that will focus your efforts! The following five steps will support you towards success.
- Have you a Specific Goal – maybe you didn’t specifically say what that meant?
Lets clarify that NOW!
- Exactly what is it you want to achieve?
- By when do you want to achieve it by?
- Is this a realistic period of time?
- Do you need to alter the end goal or the timeframe to make it realistic?
- What difference will it make to you when you achieve this goal?
- What will be great about achieving it?
- What will stop you achieving your target?
- You probably didn’t make a detailed plan for reaching your goal
Lets make a Plan NOW!
- What do you need to do each day to start work towards your goal?
- List the activities that you will engage in
- How long will this take each day?
- At what time will you do this activity?
- How will you plan for your week?
- Will you be able to do this yourself or are there others to be considered?
- What conversations with others do you need to have?
- What is your measure of progress?
“If you can’t measure it you can’t improve it” Peter Drucker
- Decide in advance how you will measure your success
- Set small achievable targets to hit on the way to your ultimate goal
- When you hit these targets you will be motivated you to continue
- When you miss your target, this is a message to change something about what your are doing
- Who will you call on to support you in achieving your goal?
It takes courage to publicly announce you are going to achieve a goal, but the support of those around you will seriously increases your potential to succeed.
- Who will you discuss your plan with?
- Who will you share your daily / weekly goals with?
- Who will help you keep your promises to yourself?
- Do you believe you can do this?
Have you tried and “failed” at this goal before? If so then you have found a way (or ways) that don’t work for you. Now it’s time to try new action steps!
- It is important to find alternative ways of reaching this goal. We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking we used to create them – Albert Einstein
- Pick yourself up when you slip – this is only a temporary slip up – not a total failure!
- Remind yourself of what it means to you to achieve this goal
- Take courage from all the other successes you’ve had n your life. You know how to succeed in other areas of life. Transfer your prior learning to this goal to be successful.
Whether you think you can or you think you can’t your right